MCIA programs are designed to help clients maximize value in four main areas.
1900 Hendon Ave
Saint Paul MN 55108
Toll Free: 1-800-510-6242
Organic Toll Free: 1-855-213-4461
How to Certify
- Foundation seed - the progeny of Breeder or Foundation seed
- Registered seed - the progeny of Foundation seed
- Certified seed - the progeny of Foundation or Registered seed
The basic steps for producing certified seed include:
- Submit an application for membership to MCIA (if not already a member).
- Plant eligible seed stock in fields meeting the certification land requirements for the crop type being grown.
- Apply for field inspection supplying proof of seed planted and location of the field.
- MCIA shall inspect the field to determine the field's conformance to standards for varietal identity, purity, isolation, and freedom from weeds and other crop species.
- Condition seed at an MCIA approved facility.
- An MCIA authorized sampler shall submit a representative sample from the conditioned seed lot to an authorized seed testing laboratory.
- Seed is tested for germination, purity and other specified tests to determine conformance to seed standards. Specific seed standards are established for each crop kind and seed class.
- Certification labels or bulk sales certificates are issued by MCIA for eligible seed lots.
- To complete certification, attach a certification label to each seed container or issue a bulk sales certificate to each buyer of bulk certified seed.